Mar 8, 2010

Work on iteration 2

Iteration 2 has been more of a challenge for me then iteration 1. The reason it is more challenging is because I am making it more challenging. The only problem is now I am the frustrating period and not getting past it.

The first thing I attacked was including the api fanfeedr to my iteration 1. I started coding and then decided to learn more about css and format instead of staying on topic with the project. After getting back to fanfeedr, I registered for my api key. The good news was the key was free and didn’t take very long for the key to be sent to my e-mail. After looking at more code and trying to incorporate fanfeedr, I have realized that fanfeedr code is in the form of JSON and not XML.

So, this marks my first problem. I looked around and could not find how to parse the format JSON. I am going to try and do a search on the blog and maybe someone from last semester had a similar situation. I then ran into the problem that my original iteration decided not to work. So, I then proceeded to create a test folder for the fanfeedr. So, I just about started over but was not too hard with copying most of my code. I then didn’t have to worry about ruining something that already works. Once I get it to work then I can just slide it into my working original iteration.


For Wednesday, I am going to just try and use an easier API that I will hopefully be able to produce. I am going to keep holding onto the fanfeedr information and try and incorporate it into my project for possibly iteration 3.

Does anyone have any experience with Google Maps and getting it to work? My question is how do you the maps that you have in your my maps folder?

4 comments:

  1. My group and I ran into trouble trying to get two Web Sites to feed on our project. The blog had some really good information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is I tend to over-analyze what needs to be done. I find that if I break each task into small tasks it is not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was pretty interesting. I like how you made a drop down and had it show a different map each time. I'd be interested to take a look at your code and see how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments. I agree breaking it up into smaller parts really helps. I am still working on learning JSON.

    ReplyDelete