Mar 24, 2010

Windows 7






After waiting three months I finally took the plunge and installed Windows 7 on my computer. Windows 7 has the same layout as Vista but is much improved. Gone are the slow start times and numerous Windows services that run in the background and bog your computer down. In my opinion, Windows Vista was basically another version of Windows Me (Millennium). Windows 7 gets great reviews by many user and many of them also state how Windows 7 is much improved over Vista.
Reviews




I took advantage of my student discount and purchased Windows 7 Premium. Installation was a breeze for me...Windows 7 took a lot less time to install than Windows XP. The reason for this is probably when you install Windows XP you must also install all the service packs and updates which can take a few hours. Since Windows 7 is new it does not have that many updates with it. As I installed Windows 7 I did have some skepticism about installing a new operating system.....will my hardware and their drivers work?? All that was quickly laid to rest as all my hardware played nice with Windows 7.




After some skepticism I am glad I installed Windows 7 onto my computer. Is it perfect?? No. But it sure is a nice new look and a welcome replacement after Vista was such a flop. Us XP users have been using the same operating system since 2001 and a change is always nice.

6 comments:

  1. Great hopefully my next computer will be equipped with windows 7. I have Vista on my current laptop which i can't wait to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I am too tired of slacking Vista. I think I am going to try this OS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to the enormous performance difference between vista and 7. I had both on my desktop and my laptop and switched both to 7 when it came out. As a gamer, the extra resources make things much less annoying during gaming sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem I continue to have with the newer versions of windows are simple 32bit vs 64bit program compatibility issues. As I produce music (http://www.myspace.com/ryansantamusic), I'd say less than 1% of software used (like DAWs and plug-ins especially) works with 64bit. Even Vista's "virtual" 32bit processing won't run these correctly so there is still absolutely no way I can upgrade from XP until these things are updated or fixed. And to be honest, I really don't want to upgrade from XP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can also promote how much of an improvement Windows 7 is over Vista. I had Vista on my struggling 4 year old desktop and like everyone else was fed up with the boot up times, crashes and just overall slow performance. I added two more gigs of memory to my desktop (Which I don't think was needed) and took advantage of the student upgrade price back in October when it was only $39. Since the upgrade its like I have a whole new computer and I'm loving all the little added features like "snap".

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say.. I love it! Why you ask? It doesn't have the annoying features that Vista had that were always trying to help you. That feature is there if you want it but it is easy to turn off. And unlike Vista it doesn't remind you all the time that you have turning off the security features. It has been very stable and quick booting.

    ReplyDelete