Mar 31, 2010

The Macbook makes an appearance


I just want to start by saying CONGRATS to ALL the graduating seniors. It has been a long road and I'm sure we are all happy to have finally found our little pot of gold! As the semester winds down I can't help but feel overwhelmed yet excited. I feel like I've slacked all semester and now I'm scurrying to get everything done and raise my grades one last time. LOL But be that as it may our final iterations will be due very soon and I can't wait to have it done!

As we prepare to leave Eastern with a smile and thousands of dollars in student loans, incoming freshman at Seton Hill University are entering with a smile. They won't be smiling because of their new found freedom but they'll be smiling because they are getting new Macbooks and iPads. I know, I know, how crazy is that. These students as well as the staff will be receiving these devices to help them with their learning experience at Seton Hill. The faculty and staff at the university will receive training that will bridge the gap between them and the technology.

I'm sure that the tuition at Seton hill is kinda high but I guess if I were getting a free computer I wouldn't mind paying back those student loans. I feel like this will give these students an enhanced college experience. I like the idea and look forward to hearing about more universities doing this.

6 comments:

  1. I can understand supplying laptops to students - but iPads? That is a waste of money. Seriously. They need to *at least* wait until the device has proven itself before making that kind of investment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I got an ipod for going to school. What would be cool is if we could get a discounted student price. I don't want to buy an iPhone or iTouch, so this would be a nice alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I don't understand why we don't get discounts on things that students can actually afford, like an iPod or iPod Touch. Instead they give use the $100 - $200 discount on the $1,000 - $3,500 Laptops and Desktops. Either way I am a little jealous of Seton Hill students right now. And its not just incoming freshman that will receive new products. All students will receive free iPads in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post Jenelle. I too am one of those graduating seniors who is scrambling to get everything done. But I'm with you on one thing, it would be great to be getting a new macbook and iPad but my guess is they are going to be twice the price that it should cost and they will be paying for them for the next 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Joe. They need to wait until the device proves itself. Also what are they going to give to the blind or other handicap students that wouldn't be able to use the touch feature on the IPad?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Jenelle...I am also graduating soon and under the burden student loan..I hope to get a job so that I can pay it off as soon as possible.
    About the iPad...i think it is quite a funny idea of providing iPads. It is just a Want than a need.

    ReplyDelete