Mar 24, 2010

Sprint unveils its first 4G phone




Sprint announced the HTC Evo 4G today. I gotta say, I'm impressed. I'm particularly excited because, as everyone knows, I'm a fanboy of Android. And this lovely piece of equipment features Android OS 2.1. I'm stuck with the MyTouch 3g and the lowly 1.6 version of Android. I really wish that they would upgrade the operating system on units that are already owned by consumers.

So, back to the Evo, I'm drooling over this thing. It has a 4.3 inch display. One other thing that it has that my phone lacks is a a 3.5mm headset jack. I'm not sure why the hell they left that out when designing the MyTouch. Other features include Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 1GB of internal memory, Assisted-GPS with Sprint Navigation, seven home screens, a personal organizer, a microSD card slot that accommodates cards up to 32GB, a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, an HDMI out port. A 1GB processor on a cell phone is freaking insanely fast too, and the HDMI port? Watch videos from your cellphone on your big screen tv lately? Sounds awesome.

I believe that Sprint is going to be the first carrier to offer 4G, which will be this summer. I'm looking forward to it's release, because I think it'll be the most successful Android phone released, so it'll be interesting to see how it fares.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really cool phone!! If I didn't dislike Sprint so much or wasn't waiting to see what the next iPhone is going to be, I would be looking for the pre-order date right now. The most intreguing feature of the phone to me is the front facing camera, which can be used for video conferencing/skype once developers make apps compatible for it. This was one of the most sought features for the iPhone last year and again for the new iPhone this year. I think its cool that HTC just took the lead and put it in their phone first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John nice post. I wouldn't get too excited about the 4g stuff. From what I've read it will be a couple of years before the infastructure is in place for the 4g speeds. So while people might have 4g phones they will only run at 3g speeds which if you ask me is ridiculous. Maybe the Companies can get their S*!t together sooner so we could enjoy some faster speeds but I know that AT&T is usually the last get on board so I'll also be waiting with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They unveiled a 4G phone on a network that is still struggling for users and a company that is hurting for cash. This may be a hail mary for them.

    ReplyDelete