Mar 17, 2010

Funny Websites Hit it Big!

Let me just start by going over Iteration 2 for our group project. It seems that we came across a few issues. Two of the sites that we wanted to use are such small sites that they didn't have APIs. We basically have to start from square one. We wanted to keep the same objective so we choose to display yelp and google maps for today. But after showing the class what we did have, it gave us some ideas. We basically want to build a site for vacationers going to Traverse City. The site will display where the rental places are, what there is to do, maybe weather, and pictures of the area. We would like to use Flikr but John asked us to try a google photo display also. We'll investigate these and I feel like we are on the right track now.

Back to the topic at hand, have you ever heard of Texts from last night, or FML.com. These are both websites that display mini blogs. Texts from last night just show either drunken texts or funny texts that people text to their friends. FML.com gives a look into embarrassing moments that happen to people throughout the day. Texts from last night was developed by a former Wayne State University law student who decided to take the technical road in life and has hit the jackpot. The site is said to get 4.5 million hits a day.

These sites started as small sites and spiraled into conversation starters. These sites now have iPhone apps and have even been offered a book deal. This is an example of people following their dreams, you have a law school student who risked it all to develop a website. I think she's done pretty well for herself.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that these are some really funny sites. I have the Texts From Last Night app on my iPhone. But it seems like now that these sites have become sooo popular, they have sort of lost their genuinity. I believe that most things posted on the sites now are stories people made up that are hilarious instead of them people true events. Nevertheless, I still read them from time to time to get a little chuckle in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenelle where do you get this stuff from. I looked at this site and it is so funny. Its amazing the ideas that people come up with. Also, I just wanted to let you know that I think your group site is great. It looks good and I think you all should be proud of the work you have done. I really like the idea of showing pictures of the area. Many people go to sites to find out about a place but don't get to see what's there. This would be a nice feature for users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post Jenelle. It always amazes me the types of sites that really take off. 4.5 million hits is huge and I'm sure that it will only get more popular.

    ReplyDelete