Mar 23, 2010

Quarter of U.K. Kids Have Hacked


A recent U.K survey found that twenty six percent of school age children had tried to hack into someone else’s social or email account. Despite the fact that the majority of children say hacking is wrong. This article raised two important issues for me. The first one being that the younger generation has no respect for others and how safe are our accounts really if children can hack into them? In world where everyone is connected by technology, we really have become disconnected as people.

Young people now days see their computer or their cell phone or other data device not as a tool but as a part of themselves that they can not put down. If you have gone to a movie recently you will know what I am talking. All the young talk extremely loud with their friends, oblivious to anyone else. Then they start to text. Why did you even come to the movie if you want to talk to someone else? These kids are really disconnected from society and what is correct behavior. So hacking into someone’s account is no big deal to them. I see this becoming a really serious problem with all the young people of the world.

Another issue is how safe are our private accounts if young kids can hack into them. I think that the kids in this survey hacked into their friends accounts but they could lead up to non friends accounts and then into other than email or social. It just seems terrible that you have to think so far ahead about the next generation of hackers. Most hackers start out hacking because it seems like fun and then turns into something more. There is no way to stop technology but maybe we can show kids how to be better users and have respect for others.

5 comments:

  1. When I was younger, a bunch of my friends could hack into computers. Alot of hacking happens, some of it for fun. But it turns into worse things as they get a little older.

    And for the texting in the movie, I got people to talk to, sometimes my phones goes off. Doesn't mean I dont like being at the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people hack just to see if they can break into a computer.....for the thrill of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah hacking is wrong but this is sad. I thinks some kids think this is cool to hack other peoples accounts but they dont realize what they are doing is criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I kind of have to agree with Dan and Jeremy. Yea hacking is wrong but you just have to just associate it with the times these kids are growing up today. Back when we were growing up, computers were relatively new so kids were getting into other mischievous things. You know, "boys will be boys". But I guess now that theres so much technology thats just a way for kids to be "bad". Doesn't mean they will grow into major hackers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think of pranks I could pull in school while I was sitting there bored out of my mind. Some of my pranks lead to ruined clothes but I drew the line at hurting people. The point was to pull off the prank with out getting caught. How is that really different then today with kids hacking? What I was doing wasn't right either. It was the thrill, and as long as there are bored kids looking for a thrill there will be pranks.

    ReplyDelete