Mar 28, 2010

The Safe Reader

As the semester goes on, deadlines are quickly approaching. Iteration 3 for both group and individual projects is right around the corner and the material is not getting any easier. I understand what the point of the projects are and I wish that my programming skills were us to par so that I could make some real money by doing what I am learning. I'm sure I could get a nice chunk of change for making a mashup for a small company trying to reduce Internet surf time. But that's not really me so on to reality. I can 't wait to finish my last iteration and my last projects of my undergrad career.

I was searching for an interesting article to blog about and I came across an article about an application available to Blackberry users. The application is called the SafeReader. The SafeReader allows users to listen to text messages and emails while driving. This is a safe alternative to reading text messages and driving.

I think this is a good idea. I've come across a lot of emails with gruesome photos of people who were texting and driving or talking on the phone and driving. Technology has solved the problem of talking but not texting completely. I recently heard or an application for cell phone that will block the user from receiving and sending text messages while driving. I think the SafeReader is a better solution. I can't wait for this cell phone application to be available to all cell phone users.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you Jenelle that this App will really be useful. I have heard of other apps too that are available now, all Android apps I'm sure. But texting and driving is a big big deal. States are starting to pass laws prohibiting it. My mom even called me the other day scolding me to never do it because she saw something on Oprah about it. You know when a issue hits Oprah, its a BIG deal lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Commercial! Felt like a total waste of time though, I don't like tools like this. It never works the way you want it to, and it will have alot of trouble with slang which in most texts thats all thats used. Good idea but probably wont work.

    And Greg things are big until Oprah talks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a phone years back that had text to speak and was not that easy to use and often could not understand what the message said. Working in the cell phone industry I always heard of all the latest product that would truly be hands free. Bluetooth is the closest I have seen and that is still a pain. I don't know if hands free will ever really happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The United States is one of the only nations that uses their cars and technology combined, i.e. texting while driving. Germans, for example, are typically completely focused on driving, allowing for higher speeds and shorter commute times. The U.S. has to have a built in "people barrier" for the good majority of its driving laws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the app works the way it is supposed to it will save people alot on tickets. There is a proposed law in front of our governor to create seat belt like fines for getting caught on the phone or texting. One thing that caught my attention was that the police can pull you over for just the cell phone use just like the seatbelt laws, and I know that all of us are guilty of being on the phone and texting while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post Jenelle. This is a great application and i'm going to have to see if this is available for the iPhone. I'm guilty of trying to read emails and text while I'm driving and it definitely is not safe. I think this sort of app could go a long way to help reduce accidents.

    ReplyDelete