Mar 4, 2010

Apple launching patent war!




I found this interesting article on cnn.com about Apple trying to sue HTC. They are claiming that HTC violated a number of its patents for the iPhone. They haven't specified which ones yet but once they do we'll get a better look at why they're trying to sue HTC. There's quite a bit of speculation as to the reason they have decided to move forward with a lawsuit. One of the reasons is to try to set a precedence by winning a lawsuit against HTC, Apple could have strong suits against companies like Motorola, Samsung, or Sony Ericsson. There is even speculation that Apple could eventually go after Google and Microsoft.

Why sue HTC? I think that it is a warning message to any other companies that would try to steal their "technology." I'm not really sure whether it has any merit or not, but I'm pretty fed up with Apple, and I'm sick of hearing about them and their iPhone and iPad, etc. There are more than 200 patents on the iPhone right now, and that makes me wonder what exactly they patented that they are afraid of other companies stealing. I'm not sure about patent laws but it makes me wonder how a company can patent that many things and not expect another company to at least use the idea of their product to create one of their own, or even build a newer better version of their own. I think that Apple is grasping at straws and trying to hold on to whatever market they can in the cell phone industry. Android phones are growing in popularity real fast, and I think the main two reasons for this are multiple phones with different carriers, and the software is open source.

This sentence from the article is specifically interesting to me, "If Apple's arguments include technology that is inherent in the operating systems provided by Google and Microsoft, and if they are not exclusively part of the hardware and software design provided by HTC, then Google and Microsoft may be forced to defend their technology." I would love to see Google, Microsoft and Apple go at it in court, it would be like the heavyweight fight of the century...and I would love to see Google and Microsoft bitch slap Apple because it would be hilarious.

2 comments:

  1. this is a very interesting situation and i agree with you about the whole apple and hearing about the iphone and ipad. It seems to me a little bit over advertised, I'm always seeing these iphone commercials and seeing all these Ipad articles. Is apple afraid of competition that it will try anything to ward of competitors? The idea and technology of iphone is great and all but sooner or later something better and faster will come along its just a matter of time, and that goes along with in product in the market, the majority of the time. I guess apple just wants to slow that all down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is incredibly annoying that Apple is basically holding onto the last possible thread it has on the market. I'm going to enjoy watching them struggle. Instead of moving on and adapting, maybe developing something new, they keep trying to reuse their same old technology which is going to destroy them.

    ReplyDelete