Mar 30, 2010

Individual Project 3


As the due date for our individual projects nears, I began to work on getting a second rss feed into my last project. The hardest part of the individual project so far has been finding rss feeds for my chosen topic of travel. The first one I find was Kayak and they actually have several different feeds that can be used. Finding the second one was a lot harder. I tried Yahoo travel, Travelocity, Orbitz and Expedia. I finally found an rss feed for Expedia and decided to add that one.

So the next part was to figure out how to add the second feed to my current project. I looked back over the class blog and saw the examples that were put up and this really helped. So I wrote the code based on this example, loaded it on people.emich and hit the button. I was happy that it worked until I saw that only the second feed was coming up. This surprised me a little; I would have expected the first one and not the second one to work.

I spent some time playing with the code and still could not get it to function right. I went through every line of code and could not see what the problem was. I finally asked one of my group mates for help. They were able to catch the mistake that I had kept missing and my feed now works with both Kayak and Expedia. The one thing I have learned about writing code whether it be C#, JavaScript or any other computer language is that there is very little room and any type error and the programmer must be a very diligent person and keep checking each line. If one variable is wrong, the whole application will not work.

4 comments:

  1. Spell Check for Programmers would be a great app! All computer languages are sticklers about spelling and the more "free" the language is about letting you make the tags, the more spelling counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spell checking applications for programming would almost drive me insane, unless you were the person that actually created the index for the words to be checked. There are too many things that could go wrong with auto-correction services like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive been having the same problem but the issues are not so much with the spelling but the need to add or remove certain things in order to help them make more sence. And there are things that I want to happen and they work in my head but then writing them on notepad can be frusterating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I agree with you Leticia, there is little room for error in programming. Many times I have poured through my code only to figure out that it was a typo or some other grammatical error. It always reminds me that I need to be very careful when programming.

    ReplyDelete