Mar 11, 2010

Individual Iteration 2

Since Iteration 2 was due yesterday, I figured I'd write about my own frustrations and a few things that are going on with our group project. I am very sad that I could not get my program to work. Usually I try and try and try and then something happens but this time I had no luck. I attempted to display my blogs from my IS279 class in which we have to write at least 5 blogs a week. I thought it would be cool to show my blogs that I have written for that class. It seemed like a piece of cake when I was thinking about it but it turned out to be more complicated than expected.



I did all the usual stuff look over John's code and then turn it into my own but that did not work. Here is what it looks like:



I went to see John Wednesday morning and he helped me out a lot but then I kept getting the "Document" is null or not an object error for this part if my code:

function formatFeed(xml){

var html = "";

var thisEntry = xml.documentElement.getElementsByTagName("entry");

At this point, I changed a few things and the error messages stopped but nothing happened. I was hoping that the server just wasn't updating in a timely manner but that's not the case because I tried to run my program today and no luck. So I didn't get it to work.

As for the group project goes, my group had to change which sites we wanted to use because two of the sites didn't have APIs. So we made a quick decision and we're planning on using two different sites now.


2 comments:

  1. I agree usually you just play with the code until it works but Ajax takes a lot playing and can make you insane before you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try not to get discouraged. Your ideas are great and it may be something simple to fix. A lot of learning in this class is through trial and error. I have changed my project plan a couple of times. Keep up the good work and I love how colorful your name is.

    ReplyDelete