Mar 9, 2010

Learning PHP



The PHP Manual can be a very useful resource when it comes to making API’s. PHP can be used as one of the web languages that works behind the scenes of your API projects. Variables, functions, and If/Then statements are just some of the topics covered in the PHP manual. Also the manual covers how PHP parses certain elements and leaves other elements alone.

You can find the PHP Manual here.


When I first looked at PHP I was a bit intimidated. Taking a closer look at the language…it is not much different from any other programming language you have used in the past. It is somewhat similar to Java and our all-time favorite…C#. All you really have to remember is that ends the PHP. The PHP online manual really makes learning PHP less complicated.


When learning PHP (as with any other language) I find many times that I tend to over-think and make learning the language much more difficult than it has to be. When venturing into PHP for the first time just remember how variables work. Also remember If/Then and loops. If you know these you should be all set for learning PHP.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post Jeremy. I used PHP quite a bit on both my projects and you are right, it is not much different from any other OO language. It is also very well documented with tons of examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i'll check out the manuel. I know i'll need the php to finish my project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Adam, this is a very useful post Jeremy. Looking over the website you provided I can see it was updated only a few days ago and therefor is not only relevant and a good resource for this class, but is incredibly up-to-date and may include some newer information/standards that we would be unable to find elsewhere. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I didn't buy the book, I will be looking into using this source for interation 3. You always give the best sources, how do you find these things? But I wish I would have read this when I was doing my program because it might have helped me. I tried looking at w3schools but it was no more help than what Drake had already told me and included in his slides. This source is past overdue for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete