Mar 4, 2010

The Translating! Telephone



There is this new technology has been introduced at the Tech Fest 2010.
Its called the Translating Telephone. As the name suggests it translates voice chat of one language to another. This is introduced by Microsoft Research.

As per the demo, I am really impressed by the technology behind it. It not only translates the voice into other language in a text format but also the voice format. This concept is quite old but by looking at the demo, I think that it would come out to be useful for people doing international business.

The really cool thing is that this system will translate it into a commonly spoken language with use of slang words. I could tell you from my own experience that people from different countries may have a hard time understanding the slang words from a particular country. While I was new to Michigan it was really hard for me to understand certain words I came across because we have our own set English slang words. The funny thing was some professors used slang too which were confusing to me. But anyway I hope this technology really prove to be as workable as it promises to be.

5 comments:

  1. I like the idea, but I find it hard to believe the slang difference. Like some people say Soda and others say pop or coke. But I like the idea and I hope it gets implemented.

    What I would like to see is a computer that can comprehend what I say into a text format. Would save alot of time typing. But everything I have tried was ineffective and to slow for actual use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To continue with what Dan said, I see this as being a very hard thing to do because of the slang aspect. I'm not saying it won't be done but just hard. In high school, I took Spanish just like I'm sure every body college bound has taken a foreign language, but the way we were taught was seen as the formal way of speaking Spanish. My girlfriend who was in the class with me was also Mexican and at her home all they spoke was Spanish. I would joke with her that there was no point in her going to class because she knew the language already. But it turned out to be difficult with her also because she said that Spanish people did not speak proper like the way we were taught in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That story about your girlfriend is pretty interesting Greg. I definitely see this phone getting implemented. The way the world is going today, people are getting lazier and lazier everyday because of the invention of new technology. It's just a matter of time before some form of technology makes all language universal, ala Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it could sometimes be hard to translate slang but the concept is great. It coulb used for business and private use

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very interesting concept, that technology has even gotten this far for something like this to happen. And to add comment to what Dan and Greg had said, it will be interesting to see if how the slang will work out with other people hearing the formal way of their language instead of the slang version or vice verse. But I do like the idea and with technology developing the way it is today, i wouldn't be surprised to see some type of application meeting the needs of the slang.

    ReplyDelete