Nov 18, 2009

While searching the web, I found a couple new interesting app’s for the iPhone. The Atlantis blasting off to the space station was not the only interesting thing coming out of NASA. Along with partners, NASA has developed three new app’s for the iPhone, two of the being free.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/17/apps.week.space/index.html

The first free app is the official app of the U.S. space agency. It lets you track the position of the space station along with other spacecraft orbiting the Earth.
The second free app lets you view the “Astronomy Picture of the Day”. Every day a new picture is posted on the app, whether it be a galaxy or other astronomical feature.





The third app, costing $2.99 uses the phone’s gps capability to guide you through each night’s sky. You can also obtain information on the moon phase and lets you view astronomy news and offers a quiz.
I know it does not pertain to the class, I just though it to be interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin, thanks for this interesting post. Stars and Meteroits are actual topics. I just remember the night for two days, standing outside in the cold night, watching the sky. I think these apps are really nice! I saw an app, comparable with the third you mentioned, but, afaik for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
    maybe you add a headline and some tags to your post?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, I think this is something I would be interested in. Having these apps available is a good way of getting more interested in the night sky. I think it's really great that they can incorporate all of these additional features for free for anyone to view. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin,

    Way cool! I am a bit of an astronomy nerd myself and an app like that would be pretty useful! When I am in the U.P. I take advantage of their lack of light pollution and get a pretty good view of the stars. An app like this would help a lot since there are about a million more stars you can see up there! Does it have a feature to tell you about northern light activity?

    ReplyDelete