Nov 29, 2009

Quick and Easy JavaScript Reference

Many of you like myself may not be as well referenced in the javascript syntax as we would like to be. When I started the IS449 class I barely knew any javascript, I had taken IS247 Web Development class, which spoon-fed me some javascript. But I personally tend not to learn programming well by simply re-typing someone else’s commands and code. I prefer the approach of learning of commands and then utilizing those commands in my own programs, but for this courses projects I needed to be able to use a fair amount of javascript.

I struggled at first; basically I have programmed other languages so I would guesstimate different commands, only to end up frustrated when it wouldn’t work. Then I would search our book, or and my IS247 HTML book or the web for snippets of code for what I was trying to do. I would find commands some that would help, and some pieces of code that were rather complex, or potentially written poorly, or were just hard to follow, further adding to my frustration.

Then I decided I would head over to the local bookstore and see what I could find. Well going there you will find a small mountain of java and javascript reference books, all with a wealth of information, but many were huge, and would take a long time to find what I was looking for, and at $50-100+ each it is hard to blindly just pick one. Then I came across this small handy book:



ISBN: 978-0-672-32880-0

It was only $20 and seems to have a lot of code segments with brief explanations of what the code was doing and how it worked. I decided to give it a try since it was so affordable, and I have not regretted that decision. It is a handy reference for a lot of simply tasks with javascript, but any of us should be able to easily follow the code and expand on it for our needs. This is in no way an end-all be-all book on javascript, be is certainly worth the small investment to help make our lives with the class projects a little easier.

Now I have been told you can get the book for cheaper from here.


Additional refernce on the book can be found at: http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=9780672328800

3 comments:

  1. James,
    I'll have to keep that book in mind if I plan on doing any more JavaScript in the future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
    This sort of book is what I was looking for, I was at the book store and found the Javascript the definitive guide as shown here http://books.google.com/books?id=VOS6IlCsuU4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=javascript#v=onepage&q=&f=false, but the price was out of my range for now. I suffered through online searches. My guess is that Professor Drake may require a javascript book for future classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, I too have spent many hours in Borders pondering over what books would best help me with JavaScript. I have purchased several and have also kept all of my books from prior EMU courses instead of selling them back for a few bucks. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a few references and at $20, you're right, this is much more affordable than some others.....thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete