Nov 7, 2009

An Online Guide to Parking Spots

I was on Yahoo the other day and ran across some company startup news. I thought this was interesting because it appears to use google maps with mashups. The founder and chief executive of this new startup company, Rick Warner, came up with this idea while looking for a parking space in San Francisco. The company is called ParkingCarma and is based in Flint Michigan which is due to public and private funds that were made available to entrepreneurs who start new businesses in Flint.

It’s not clear if there is a cost involved with using the service because it appears to be free to view available spaces. However, the company does get revenue from ads as well as a percentage of parking fees. The article states that there is an additional fee of $9.99 a year for registered users in San Francisco and San Diego if they want to reserve spaces with their computer, PDA or mobile phone.


The service also offers parking rate information related to hourly or monthly parking and the website lists upcoming events in a few major cities which include: New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and San Diego. Of course, these events all revolve around the ability or necessity to “find parking”.

8 comments:

  1. Terry,
    This is a pretty cool website, to be able to go to a one stop site for all your parking needs in a big city is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry, always interesting seeing what types of mashups people are making. Having been to San Fran myself, I can tell you parking is somewhat of a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, now that's something I can see being very beneficial! Especially in big and/or crowded cities! Does anybody know if this service will work in Ann Arbor? Parking is always a mess downtown A2, this would be awesome to have next time I want to head down there. I skimmed over the Website but it made it look like it was only for bigger cities. Still looks like a very impressive idea in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really cool idea. Parking is a huge issue in many major cities and many people use taxis just to avoid the hassle of trying to find a parking spot. This would be very convenient especially when someone had an important business meeting or appointment that they had to get to on time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's awesome that someone would provide this type of service. I can't tell you how useful having this information would be considering the astronomical fee that Ann Arbor receives from patrons and then doesn't even guarantee a parking spot if you should leave and return within minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the blog.
    I think this company is developing a really cool idea. I see lots of benefits by implementing it. I do not hang out in Ann Arbor but I bet it is nothing in comparison to Downtown Chigago during morning or afternoon hours.
    I was trying to find out if they are going to implement that in the GPS divices or not. Because I think that is where the money will be. Actually, it will be really cool if you are already in the big city to have a life search with availability and price range. Now that will be really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What will they think of next. I think that's a great ideal. We all drove around several minutes trying to find a parking space burning gas. This application would be great for busy cities like New York ,LA, or Chicago. Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I cannot see it being benefical in places like Flint, but in New York City and LA it would be

    ReplyDelete