Nov 3, 2009

Iteration 2


Well I had lots of hadacke trying to do different things for the personal project and realized it is quite difficult. I am not sure if anyone felt like me but I definatelly had hard time. So after playing with google maps, youtube, and so on, I realized that I really do not understand what is really happening. That is why I took an easier to comprehend approach by following the professor's RSS example. I knew that I can not use a pop up winndow that displays raw XML but rather I had to format it in a way to display it in my html page. So I have decided to find another blog and pull that information. Well again that was not an easy task.

Finding different blogs was easy, but just to make sure that my proxy file works I had to run it. Well in a lot of cases I was getting errors that I do not have permition to read the file, or file is not accessible. I am not sure if there was a mistake into my proxy php file or just those blogs had some restrictions. Well after a while I found out a blog that is in blogspot.com and also talks about APIs. How cool? The guys who participate in the blog are developers, so it was pretty interesting to find out some new cool ideas.

Well after getting my proxy php file working ok, I had to find a way to figure out how to pull the information I wanted and display it. Well this was the place with the most difficulty. I tryed to use button and different actions, but I never got any feed back from the proxy server. That is why I decided to go with what the profosor had. So I did reference on what he did. The next problem I had was in the names that I had put in into the drop box. I read the XML file and pulled just one name so I can see if my page would work. And it did not!!!! After a while I figured out that the name I was pulling was the actual author host blog. The actual name of the outhors of the blogs were different. So that was lots of hadacke for nothing. Anyways this is what I have so far

http://people.emich.edu/idimov/Iterat2/test1.html

5 comments:

  1. Ivaylo,
    Your project looks great. I fear that the lack of javascript programming in previous classes leading up to IS449 has severely hampered the productivity of our understanding javascript as a coding language. I sense this has been a battle for several people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I also had the same headaches but my project doesn't look nearly as good as yours. I'm only displaying the XML (the text in the alert) on my web page. After discussing this with Professor Drake he mentioned this was the minimum requirement (whew!). Oh, wanted to mention the link referenced to your project doesn't include the correct file name, test1.htl should be test1.html. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I have been having many headaches myself, your not alone. The site looks great so I wouldn't worry so much. Many of us in this class haven't used javascript or web service API's for that matter. I am still trying to figure out how to display and connect information. I think that Dr. Drake wants us to just understand the principles of what is happening more than the display quality. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys, now I feel much better. I felt like I am the only one who is struggling with this. I really wanted to do something more complicated but unfortunately I did not have the time and the nerves to work on something that I do not fully understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, your definately not alone in the struggle. Although rather fuastrating at times, i find i learn more having research things i am not familar with, so this class has been love-hate at times, and i am a coder, just not a web or javascript one so for me tends to get a little more fuastrating knowing what i want to do, but not the correct syntax to do it.

    ReplyDelete