Nov 30, 2009

Interesting Blogger Bugs/Issues

Revisiting my blog counting application earlier today, created yet another source of confusion and frustration for me! Yesterday my application was working perfectly and counting all 55 of my comments. I double checked this number by going through every single post and counting by hand to confirm I had 55 as of yesterday.

Today, the number came back as 50 and after adding one more reads 51. Of course, my first assumption was that I messed something up yet again, but then I found an interesting result....

It appears that Blogger is handling some of the comments on certain posts incorrectly. If you go to Ahmed's post, you'll notice that although Blogger claims there is 5 comments on this post, only 2 show up! I immediately noticed this, because 2 of those 5 comments USED TO BE my comments.




I wanted to make everyone aware of this problem that Blogger seems to be having with comments. Yesterday, my comments showed on Ahmed's post, but today they're mysteriously missing.

Professor Drake, I think I speak for everyone when I say this: Please consider this bug when grading our comments, as this could effect some peoples' comments number! Thanks!


Update:

The comments from Ahmed's post appear to be showing up again, so I don't know if this bug was temporary or is something that will occur again...none-the-less, it's something to be aware of.


Update 2:

Checked it again, and now it's returning the correct number, and all comments are being shown...Blogger is very shaky with the comments.

Update 3:

The post immediately following Ahmed's post is giving the same results. The "Best of Both Worlds" post that Justin made has 4 comments, but occassionally only 2 are shown. It appears to be only the first and last comments for each posting.

6 comments:

  1. Matt,

    What a weird bug. I know some students were concerned with how your program had counted comments and I figured the new version of your site fixed that problem. It sounds like Blogger itself is causing the remaining issues. I'll monitor my comment counts and let you know if I notice any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    I did as you did and physically counted all of my comments and I counted 31. When I check your application it still only shows that I have 26. I guess I could have counted wrong, but I am glad to see that there might be another answer to my confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Matt, I am going to do like the others and count my comments to be on the safe side. FYI . . . I tried your app just now and it said I don't have any comments, the picture in this post proves I have at least one comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, thanks for keeping us informed about what's going on with the comments. I haven't tried it since last week so I'm going to see what it comes up with now. I guess I'll try the hand counting method also, although I have to say....I sure hope it was just a temporary miscount as it was so much more convenient just to select your name and push a button versus manually counting the comments........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh, the point I'm trying to make here though is that, my application is still counting the comments perfectly....It's Blogger that's having issues actually. I counted my blogs by hand earlier and a few of mine weren't showing so of course I came up with a lower number than I did yesterday. Depending on when you count your comments, depends on the number that will show up....either way my application shows the correct number though. It's a Blogger issue though :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt,

    Thanks for your vigelance and hard work on keeping the blog post and comments count site running smooth. It definately helps to keep track of posts!

    ReplyDelete