Nov 30, 2009

Personal Project Finished

Last night I wrapped up my work on my individual project. While I am happy that it is finished, I am disappointed that I could not get my site functioning as I originally planned. As a refresher, my site is for a tree care company and I was designing an application for users to submit a bid request. As it stands now, I pull data from the Weather Underground API and Google Calendar RSS feed and display it. The page automatically displays todays weather and the most recent event on the calendar. This would be the first thing that I would change if I had more time to work on the project. I would use a javascript calendar to dynamically display a calendar to my user so they can pick a specific date they wanted to have a bid on.

Another shortcoming for my application is how the data is displayed. I was hoping to throw the results from my API's into a equation that would display an image showing the likelihood that the bid would happen on the requested day. For example, if the calendar showed 9 appointments and the weather was forecasted as rainy, the application would return a sad face and tell the user to select another day. If it was going to be sunny and there were only 3 appointments for that day, the program would return a happy face.

Finally, I am also unhappy with the functionality of the calendar as I have implemented it. Right now I am iterating over the RSS feed from the calendar. What I needed to do was use the GCal data API to be able to download and upload data to the calendar. This requires the use of authentication which didn't appeal to me for usage by customers that wouldn't have access to the calendar.

Part of why I settled with my project as it is now is because the owner of the tree service company, a.k.a. my father, showed a lack of interest in the application. To him, he didn't like the idea of customers telling him when to do a bid. He would much prefer them send him an email telling them what they were interested in and then he would set the final date for the bid. I'll have to rethink this system to better match his business needs before spending a lot of time developing an application that would never be used!

4 comments:

  1. Colin,
    It sounded like you had a really good idea. I can understand your frustration in not getting it to work like you wanted though. I think a lot of us went through that in some form or another. It definitely could be a helpful application for customers as long as you can figure out something that is more appealing to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best customer you could have would be a family member. As knowledgeable as you are, I'm sure you and your Dad will come up with an idea for the tree service. With all of the api's available I'm sure there is more than one solution that would ease your frustration. I like your ideas about the happy/sad face....graphics always enhance an application! Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand. I wanted to do a lot more for my site, but didn't have the time or energy to make it happen. Your page looks very good Colin and thanks for the tips for iteration 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colin,

    Site looks good. I wouldn't be to upset of the customer wanting something different in the end than the designers initial ideas. This is the beauty of Agile, keeps everyone on the same page and aloows for on-the-fly changes resulting in a great product that fully meets the customers unknown wants.

    ReplyDelete