Nov 16, 2009

Eclipse

Matt described the NetBeans IDE in one of his blogs. Now, I would like to present Eclipse, another IDE. I used Eclipse for a java software development project last year and decided to use it for my individual project as well.
Eclipse supports a lot of different languages: Java EE (with JPA), Java, JavaScript, C/C++, PHP, RCP, Pulsar and more. You can download Eclipse for free for different operating systems: Windows, Mac Carbon, Mac Cocoa, Linux. There are thousands of plug-ins to enhance Eclipse with features like connecting and using a version control system (for example subversion), databasis or implementing popular servers to project (like JBoss or Tomcat).


Eclipse features different perspectives on your project, optimized on the task you like to perform. If you like to share your files with your team members on a subversion server, you don't need to see the source code and the document structure of your file. You would prefer to see the files on the server and have the possibility to compare your local files with the remote ones. For working on the project, you don't want this information but your source code with syntax highlighting, auto-complete, and live syntax and error-checks. The different perspectives allow you to be focus on your task.
Eclipse supports project works. So it’s easy to work on HTML, CSS and Script files. For my individual project, it really helped me avoiding annoying errors like forgetting the closing bracket or the semi-colon. I forgot to download the ftp-plug-in, but in the moment, I am integrating it. I will post an update after the integration :)
Here is the link for downloading Eclipse

6 comments:

  1. Eclipse looks even more interesting than NetBeans and from what you are saying it is free as opposed to a trial. Besides that, I tried to download NetBeans and it hung about 75% of the way through. So, I will see if I can download Eclipse and give it a try. Great information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great tool and like you and Terry said, it's free. Can't beat that. I will definitely give this a go for the next iteration of my individual project. I wish I knew about it sooner. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jassin,
    I have been taking the tools posted on here and trying them out to see how they fit into my programmers toolbox. This tool looks like it will fit into my toolbox nicely, I will be downloading it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tool looks pretty cool, especially since it is free. I have never heard of it before, but I will definatelly give it a try, to see how it works. Thanks for the heads up !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jassin for blogging about a really useful tool for helping programmers. I wish I knew about it earlier because it seems like it would help a lot. I never realized that there were so many tools like this, especially free ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanna emphasize that Eclipse is a very common software to develop Java Application. If you ever have worked with IBMs rational development tool => This is Eclipse, a bit modified. Like the SAP Editor.

    Working with Eclipse is easy, but knowing Eclipse, with all its features, is something different!

    ReplyDelete