Nov 30, 2009

CSS Ideas

I know that Matt just gave some useful tips in his blog about screen resolutions. I thought that I would give you a couple that I used for our group project. The first issue that we had was trying to make rounded corners for our dive so the page didn't look so boxy. There are a number of ways that you can do this and we first started off by using 2 images that sat in the background.

The problem we had is that the images were bigger than we needed them to be and if we wanted to change the width of the div we had to change the picture. The solution to the problem was to create 4 tiny images of rounded corners and create a div for them. There are many websites that will generate the images for you such as RoundedCornr and Spiffy corners. I actually used RoundedCornr to generate pictures for me then used a simple code to create it. The code was almost the same for every image. It just depended on whether it was left or right.


The other problem that we were facing was the page showing up differently when viewing from different monitors. The way that I attempted to solve this problem was instead of just using the width element, I used a min-max property. I found the idea while searching on the internet from the website CSS Tricks. The idea is that your page "shrinks to 780px to accommodates users with 800×600 resolution, with no horizontal scroll and grows to 1260px to accommodates users with 1280×768 resolution and everything in between". The CSS is actually very simple too. The code just requires two lines in your CSS:


Of course I have not been able to try if this works out because right now I only have my laptop working. I will not know until class if this solves the problem.

7 comments:

  1. Michelle, nice solution! I am glad you were able to do this for the group. I hate when pages render different on different screens and by adding a few simple lines to your CSS file, you found a way around this. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I appreciate all of the tips that everyone has shared while blogging. Many times these tips benefits so many students in the class that are struggling with the same problems. Thank you for sharing your solutions, especially the one that addresses the different views on the various monitors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle, Good stuff. Another quick, and possibly easier, solution to rounded corners is to simply create/edit the image you want in Photoshop (or a similar editing program), then saving it as a .png file. PNG's carry transparency, and ever since IE6, all browsers now-a-days support png transparency. Just another option for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I am curious about the min-width / max-width. As Matt pointed out, my page doesn't scale well and I have tried a few solutions including relative positions. This looks like an interesting option but I was wondering where do you put it? In the body?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to check out that site Michelle. I wanted to use something like that for iteration 3. It gets really frustrating when your page is good for IE but doesnt work firefox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Matt I thought about using a program to edit pictures for my corners, but to be honest with you I just didn't want to take the time! lol.. seemed easier to me to just go to the website and have them do it for me.

    Justin, I actually was having the opposite problem where my stuff would work in Firefox but not IE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,

    Thanks for sharing with us. I hadn't thought to look into the full capabilities of CSS. Guess i wish i knew it better. I am sure i will us this info in the future.

    ReplyDelete