Nov 30, 2009

Google Chrome Coming to Mac

Google Chrome is getting ready to launch a beta version for Mac, according to an article in ComputerWorld. This is not surprising considering the success that Google has had with its Windows version of Chrome. Google states the the beta version "only has 8 bugs left" before it can release the beta version. The downfall of this is that the Mac version will not have as many features as the Windows version. Some of the most popular features that will not be in the beta version are bookmark manager, app mode, task manager, gears, and sync for Mac. There are many other features that will not be available most likely because Google still wants to be able to release their beta version of the browser by the end of the year as planned.

According to the video below by CNET, there are many reasons why some people may not want to try Google Chrome for Mac. Keep in mind, this review was done back in June when all they had was a rough developer version of the browser.



I don't use a Mac and never have so I can't say whether or not this will be a hit with Mac users. Many I presume may have their favorite browser just like Windows users do. I do think that it will become much more popular if they can offer all of the features that are available for Windows and also ones that are available through competitive Mac browsers. If you would like to be notified when the beta version is released, you can sign up at Google and they will email you when it becomes available.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle,

    Thanks for the info on Chrome for the Mac. I have a Mac and a PC, but my PC is older and I use my Mac most of the time. I use Chrome from time to time on other PCs, so I'm excited to see what they can produce for my Mac. I still don't know if I'll ever transition from Firefox to Chrome full time because of the add-ons Firefox offers and the overall compatibility issues with Chrome, but who knows what will come of it! I'm excited to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd think that Chrome would eventually be a good fit for Mac users. It has a lot of those quirks that Macs have that people love. Its lightweight, customizable, and flexible layout actually reminds me a lot of a Mac. Re:Matt, compatibility problems have been less noticeable lately for me on Chrome. Either they are fixing the issues or I am just avoiding those sites with issues . . . I can't tell ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used a Mac either but know many people that do and just rave about it! By releasing the beta version as scheduled this will allow for users to report problems as they arise and hopefully Google will continue to make additional enhancements for the Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found out that, at the moment, Google has big issues with Chrome for MacOS and Snow Leopard. Looking at this link [http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847 ], it shows that there are a lot of users complaining that it is not possible to install the Gears-Plug-in (Colin already posted about Gears) on this MacOs. There was an other article that mentioned that Google might stop the development of Gears because the key-features will be part of HTML5 [http://www.pcworld.com/article/183447/goodbye_google_gears_sniff.html]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used Mac as well, but I hear it is pretty cool. I am not sure how big of contribution Chrome will have on Mac but as long as the reviews are good i guess they will implement it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As many of you know from my blogs, i'm a huge fan of google chrome. Even though i'm not a mac user, it's good to see apple will have a water down version of chrome. I think mozillia my start sweating soon! Good post Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am kind of surprised they didn't already offer a Mac version. Google strikes me as the kind of company that attracts a large following of Mac users, as they are more trendy and young- oriented comapny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have never used Mac, but if Windows 7 is anything like its predecessor I have no problem switching. I think the reason Google started with microsoft was not to overload it's programmers, reducing the amount of bugs. By waiting they did not have to rush production.

    ReplyDelete