Apr 7, 2010

problems


I am going to blog about some of my problems that I have run into. I am going to start with the end and work my way back. I had my site working almost exactly how I wanted it to work last night. I then showed my site to someone today and my wunderground.com api decided to not work.

I started to freak out and still am a little. I have come to the conclusion that I have tried to send too many requests and weather is making me take a break. The reason I am more confident now is because I was able to get it to work again before I started blogging.

Another problem that I ran into but was able to work around is the fanfeedr api. I went into my profile on fanfeedr and was able to say I wanted to use xml instead of json. With a little more experience in xml I made the switch and had great success.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Steven. In my opinion I found XML feeds to be easier to work with as opposed to JSON feeds. However, I had one API that only returned JSON (Yelp!) and after working with it for a day or so was able to figure out how to manipulate the output. Towards the end I began to think that it was easier to work with than the XML. It just goes to show that if you spend enough time with something, it begins to become the preferred method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve,...I totally agree with you...since we have worked a lot with XML ...this is why most of us find it easier..but hey JSON is just another different style and I think We need to work with it more and more in order to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam and Aman I agree with you completely. It only would make sense if you work on something for a while then you become more comfortable with it. Before we worked with XML, I am sure there were no big fans of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I was not a fan of XML before I worked with it, nor am I one after working with it. I mean, it's not a difficult language, but in my opinion it's a very wordy language, and you have to type a lot to get anything accomplished in it.

    ReplyDelete