Apr 4, 2010

No API For IMDB


As my group and I have been working on our project we have learned that the IMDB does not have an API. This really has surprised me because they are not a service that charges a fee to use so why not provide an API for users? I read some articles that the IMDB is looking for someone to develop one. What irritates me is that the IMBD is part of Amazon and Amazon has an API. How hard could it be to add the IMBD?

My group and I have been looking for a replacement for the IMDB. We have found a few sites and Professor Drake emailed some information that may be helpful. The one thing I have really learned throughout this class is to not be scared to completely drop a website that will not work. There are plenty of sites out there that all do similar activities and will work for our project.

I am really looking forward to the final project being done. It is hard to believe that we are almost done. It feels like we just started. I know my group and I will get our project working. It may not be our originally list of API’s but the concept has stayed the same. This class has been an adventure. MashUps are cool ideas that can benefit not only the owner of the MashUp but also the owners of the API’s used. I think that more and more websites are going to provide API’s. Hopefully the IMDB will be one soon.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah that is weird, imbd is a huge database website. You would think they want you to be able to market their information and help get their name further out there. With all the time they put into that website I am sure they will have something soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leticia, that is very unfortunate to hear considering how huge and widely used IMDB is. Well I'm not sure if you guys have already found http://www.themoviedb.org or if it even has an API but it is also a pretty popular movie database site. It's not as pretty and polished as IMDB but its still very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really interesting, but what I have found out is that AJAX and APIs are still relatively newly used technology. When researching my project I also found it frustrating that there didn't seem to be APIs out there to accomplish what we wanted to either. Hopefully this will be an expanding technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that using Javascript to pull the data from the server can be very tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah finding the right API with plenty of documentation is not a easy thing to do...if you find the right API you are half way done..!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that is really strange. IMBD has a ton of info through databases, I can't believe that they haven't set up an API so that other websites can host them. Almost seems like poor decision making on their part to me. You can never have too many visitors or users when it comes to the internet in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it is some nervous web/network security administrator that is blocking the process? I know that Tony at work gets real hyper when we start asking for a port to opened for one of our external vendors. The types of questions he asks make you think it is the Spanish Inquisition. So that may be what is going on behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete