Apr 7, 2010

Iteration 3: Continuing to pull my hair

I really wanted my iteration 2 program to work and after hours and much frustration, I decided to give up. I started over and listened to some advice from Chris. He told me to use Google's API to create a site and it's a lot easier than what I was doing. I got the Google key and then continued on to create my site. My site switches blogs at the click of a button. The biggest issue I had was within my PHP file. Every time I tried to run the program, an alert box would come up saying "undefined". I have no clue what that means but that's what it said. No matter what i tried I got the same alert box or no results but no alert box. I am so happy that Chris helped me. If I have learned anything from these iterations it is that I HATE programming.

But when I was in John's office he told me about a cool site that I wished would have helped me more than it did. The site is pipes.yahoo.com. It pretty cool. It is supposed to help create mashups for the people that are not the best programmers but need to get things done. I found the site to be pretty interesting. It can filter contents and do a lot of other stuff.


One of the students from last semester blogged about it and she liked it. If I get more time I am going to try and create my own little mashup and then publish it so that can be searched and people can use it. It might even inspire someone else

5 comments:

  1. Interesting post Jenelle, I agree with you that the Google APIs are pretty intuitive and fairly easy to implement, which is nice. Also thanks for the post about the pipes site. I was really interested in these sort of AJAX implementation sites as it seems to make things much easier for a novice to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google really tries to make the Internet a user friendly experience. I just wish other sites would follow Google's lead and create API's for their sites. I just don't understand why they don't want to have more exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didnt know about the pipes website and but i think i'll check it out for future use. google does have simple codes and easy implemetation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I didn't know that yahoo provided such a service.. well i think I am definitely going to use it infact right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHH..I will have to look at that for my Club's site I want to re-create. I have noticed that this semester coding has forced me to used more brain power then any of my other classes have. I am not sure that means the other classes were too easy or these final classes are too hard.

    ReplyDelete