Apr 17, 2010

F# - Hmmmm.....



I was reading recent blog by Don Syme who is a principal researcher at Microsoft research. He is also the inventor of the new programming language called the F#. Initially I was like "oh my god, another language by Microsoft. They just can't have enough of them." I was curious to look into this language and see how different it is from others.

This langauge is already quite used by the .Net community but still new and different. The reason I am writing about this langauge because this claims to make asynchronous programming easier.

Now the reason it is called F # ( F sharp ) is Microsoft claims it to be FUN language or a very Functional language to work with. In lay man terms it is language which helps you execute complex programs using very simple code. This langauge is meant for the .Net framework.


“Functional programming offers important new ways to think about problem solving. The F# Interactive lets developers work interactively with data and application-programming interfaces [APIs] in a lightweight, explorative environment. F# also provides a set of core features for making parallel and asynchronous programming easier.”

It took them almost five years to develop this language. It can work on varied platforms like Linux, MAC including Windows. It has a great tool bag which provides you with various functions making it user friendly.


The Visual Studio release includes important new features of F#:


  • A simple, succinct functional syntax.

  • A rich .NET object-oriented programming model.

  • Integrated parallel and asynchronous programming features.

  • Units of measure.

  • F# Interactive.

Microsoft do not claim it to be replacing C# at all. The interesting fact about F# is that you can use its functions in already existing C# and visual basic projects. Well I am definitely excited to try this new language and see how can I do asynchronous programming with it although it could be used for various purposes from scientific analysis to Game develpoment and much more.

If you want more info check out this article - Click


3 comments:

  1. Good to hear they are increasing the ways the language can be used. But it makes me nervous, I wasn't good at C# what does F# use to help me make this easier? Hope it helps with understanding for people like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to be looking into this. I think there is always room for improvement, but I am skeptical. Excited at the prospect of something new and interesting, but I hope it doesn't end up just being another useless language that no one uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ John : its worth trying though...they have created it to make programmer friendly.

    ReplyDelete