Apr 13, 2010

Boy racks up $1400 tab on Farmville



I found this crazy article on cnn.com. I found it to be hilarious, and infuriating at the same time. I think I would go nuts if my kid spent that much on a game.

There aren't many details in terms of the boys age or anything like that, it just says that he was a preteen. I'm assuming that he must have been around 8-12 years old. It says that he emptied out his savings account and then stole his moms credit card and started buying things with that. When asked why he did it he said that "they had brought out good stuff that I wanted."

She says that she wishes that there was more security to prevent things like this from happening again. I agree to a certain extent. I think that first she needs to teach her son that stealing is wrong. Also, that spending this much money on frivolous things that you will not see a return on just stupid. She needs to teach him the value of money. If I was the parent here, I'd make him work it off by doing chores, and also take away the computer/tv/video games.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is pretty funny. It's funny because I could only imagine what my parents would of done if I pulled this when I was younger. But the even funnier part is if the kid was only 8-12, can't the Mom file a complaint against Facebook? Because I believe that you have to be at least 13 to have an account on there. I'm just saying and I'm not too familiar, maybe you can play this game other places than just on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that is pretty funny stuff. Things have changed quite a bit since I was a kid. If I stole my parents credit card it sure wouldn't have been to buy things for a video game. However, the recent craze with these social networking games is stagering. I can't count how many posts go up on the Facebook walls of people playing games. Where do people find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is crazy, if i even spent $50 on a game like this my dad would have killed me. But to say 1400 worth, even if i was 8 years old I knew that was alot of cash. But I do think its hilarious that people care about this game, just like gangwars I mean who honestly cares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not even know what farmville except it being on facebook and on a South Park episode but i really think parents need to get a hold of kids internet use. this is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmville does have some pretty cool stuff. I think this goes back to the fact that technology has disconnected us from reality. I would never thought of stealing something from mother, she would have killed me. Kids now are being raised by computers and parents only care when it costs them something like money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously on farmville? I have seen a couple of people playing this and always think the same thing. I don't understand what is the big deal with it anyway. It looks pretty boring. Anyway, this just shows you how there needs to be more security and authentication with the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen farmville but I have seen other facebook games like the fish tank. I shook my head at my friends when I saw them walk over in the middle of doing something else to turn on their laptops to feed the fish. I asked them why and the reply was "if I dont do it while I thinking about it, I will forget." WHAT????! It is a facebook game people. I wish I had that kind of blow off time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is quite wrong and I am amazed at how kids have the courage to do that...that mom really needs to keep an eye on the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that what Leticia said is really interesting. About how technology has disconnected us from reality. I think that this is sooo true, not with just facebook but also with other social websites. When a child does something like this, there needs to be swift and dire consequences so that they learn from their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete