Oct 7, 2009

Yahoo Mashup Developers

Calling All Mashup Developers…….Have You Heard The News??

Everything we are learning in Professor Drake’s class is sure going to benefit all of us in the future as there now is a new opportunity available for Mashup Developers. Yahoo just announced that third-party applications that are built by independent developers using their YAP (Yahoo Application Platform) will gain phenomenal exposure from over 330 million people that access their site on a daily basis.
All apps that are built using this platform can be accessed and installed by any Yahoo user. The example shown below demonstrates how this app would appear to the user. Currently there are over 400 applications already available.



There is an application platform developers guide available online at http://developer.yahoo.com/yap/guide/ which discusses various topics about the “Overview of the YAP Platform” to “Getting Started” , “Code Examples”, and finally “YAP Developer Services.” There are also blog posts for many of the applications from users that personalized their own pages.
Driving traffic to your site, acquiring new users and increasing awareness about your brand are just some of the many benefits you will receive as a mashup developer for Yahoo. Developers can also display ads and make additional revenue through virtual goods. In the near future, there will be additional opportunities available to increase your wealth.
When I first selected A-Z Wine Pairings on the sidebar I was prompted with a popup box that told me that I would be adding this to my homepage. Once I did that, I was prompted to sign in to my Yahoo account and saw a message like the one below outlining what information I would be sharing if I chose to allow this app on my own homepage.



So now you know, why we are required to complete IS449 at Eastern Michigan University, so we have a future as a Mashup Developer for Yahoo!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I want a job working with APIs for a living (or working for Yahoo for that matter), but it's nice to know that at least there are positions out there in this rough economic time! Maybe by the end of this class YOU can leave your school work and go work here with Yahoo's APIs!!

    ReplyDelete