Oct 27, 2009

Firefox Gains 80 million users in 8 weeks

Microsoft has dominated the the web browser markey, but FireFox has something to say about that! "According to


Chief executive John Lilly revealed the increase in user adoption in a Twitter post on Monday, and Tristan Nitot, president of Mozilla Europe, confirmed it to ZDNet UK on Tuesday."


I feel so may people like the FireFox is because it has better speed and more add ons to make browsing more convenient. They also have a user friendly interface with customisable themes (like Chrome) and less bugs, crashes, problems than Internet explorer (like Chrome). The main reason i feel so many have stop using Internet explorer is because and security and privacy issues. FireFox along with other web browsers have have had great success when it comes to those issues compared to Microsoft.

Web browser are becoming very competitive these days. I personally use Chrome by google, but my second choice would be FireFox.What I look for in a browser is the look, the feel/comfort, and the dependability. I want to be able to customize it from the home page to having my favorite sites a click away. It's always good to see competition.This allows companies go further to make a better product.




9 comments:

  1. Hey Justin,
    I just remember the first time I started Firefox. I used to work with the IE and opened the first website in Firefox. It was sooo fast. I opened the IE and loaded the same site, than once again in FF. There was a really felt difference.
    Nowadays IE has improved but I still won't miss my fox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,

    This is an amazing race to watch isn't it? I've recently found comfort in using Firefox over IE due to performance. Certain applications seem to run faster on Firefox. I've been recommending it to several friends/family. I appreciated seeing where they stand next to IE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the competition, because the users will be the winners because of all the new improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm i really should make a full-time switch to Firefox. I had never really considered whether or not one browser is faster than the other, just been using IE by default for so long has become the standard one i use. Ok off to download Firefox on my work PC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firefox includes so many tools that you can use, especially if you are learning programming. I learned in my google class. I can break down pages and look into them in deep detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay James!! haha It takes a lot to convince people to drop IE and make the initial move to Firefox. For some reason, people are just comfortable with IE and don't want to risk having to learn a new browser. My mom is terrible...everytime she has a problem it seems like it's an IE plugin problem or it's something that doesn't display correctly because IE is blocking it or something. I pull it up in Firefox on her computer and it works fine. I try to tell her to switch to Firefox and she won't....but when I ask her why she won't she says "I don't know..." lol As Jassin said, IE has made imporvements on speed and such over the years, but since Firefox is an open source project, it can be used on any operating system and receives input back from users so that it functions to meet user requirements! Another HUGE thing to think about is use with Web Development. Since this class is all about the Web, I think it's important to note that while Firefox is definitely better for browsing and handling code, many people still use IE and for that reason we, as the developers, must code so that our applications work in as many different browsers on as many different operating systems as we possibly can! It's a battle and it usually means adjusting your code so that IE can display it properly also, but in the end it's all about the user, and until we can find a way to convince the whole world to drop IE, it will always be there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justin, I see that you quoted John Lilly on the increased usage regarding Firefox, but I did not see anything attributing these 8 million users for making the switch. Do you happen to have any of this info?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally I have always liked FireFox over Internet Explorer once I tried it. The biggest difference I noticed was how user friendly it was and the speed. I think that more people will change over when they see the benefits and the different layout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could never image a day using firefox without my 3 favorite addons.

    Adblock Plus
    Flaskblock
    StumpleUpon

    Mainly the first two had impacted my browsing experience the most. For all my most repeatedly view sites i have customized them to all be add free!

    ReplyDelete