Oct 22, 2009

Windows 7 Touch Screen

I know that a few people have already discussed the new version of Windows that was released today, but I was very intrigued by something that it offers and I just wanted to share it with everyone. I'm sure many of you have seen the touch screen technology being used, but the interesting thing now is that Microsoft 7 actually has it built in. Before this version of Windows, if computer companies wanted to have the touch screen feature they would have to make their own software. Watch the video below from cnet to see some of the touch features and read their review.



In an article in The Seattle Times the director of global product marketing for Dell demonstrated one of their computers that they have designed to use Windows 7 touch screen capabilities. They have released Studio 19 with touch screen as well as having the computer mounted on the back of the monitor. After watching the video below I went and checked out the Dell website to customize one of these computers because I was curious of the price. The only upgrade I made was to Windows 7 (they are still offering Vista in the included price) and the price was $1,119. I actually thought that with the touch technology that it would be a lot pricier.

I have been in the market for a new desktop computer, but I don't think I am ready for all of that yet. I do like the features I just use my laptop a lot more than my desktop so I would have no need for all of the extra features that go along with the cost

5 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    As with you I am not so sure I need all the extra features that touchscreen gives you. I do believe touchscreen serves a purpose when used in the proper environment, maybe in a children interactive game. I am sure my daughter would love to touch Dora and move her around the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks pretty slick! I think touchscreen could be pretty sweet! Joshua, you're looking at it from a business perspective, and in that sense I see what you mean, but from a design perspective I think touchscreen would prove very beneficial and fun. My work with Web design and photography could truly benefit from touchscreen technology. I must admit that I was skeptical of touchscreen technologies in the past until I got an iPhone and now I can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joshua, I'm with you on the child interactive games. I know my son and daughter would enjoy the interface.

    For a business perspective, I believe a touchscreen turned flat offers the potential for highly effective business meetings. Consider a conference room where the table is one large touchscreen surface. Electronic papers could be created and slide around the table with a flick of the finger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I do not know about touch screen technology. I'm still not into it yet. Even though I agree with Matt because it makes it easier to navigate through while having a mouse would not be as smooth as touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to imagine the huge technological advance with a our home computer to have a touch screen. This was unimaginable 10 years ago. I really think windows 7 will be a great operating system with some cool features.

    ReplyDelete