Oct 22, 2009

Windows 7


As promised, Microsoft unveiled the new Windows 7 today in New York. This new product has been designed to be simpler, faster and more responsive is able to boot up a laptop computer in as little as 15 seconds and awake from sleep almost instantaneously. There are so many enhancements with the new release such as being able to rearrange program buttons on the taskbar by simply just dragging and dropping. In addition to just rearranging program buttons you can now “Pin A Program” directly to the taskbar by locating a item, right clicking and choosing “Pin To Taskbar.” This feature eliminates the need to continually look for programs using the start menu each time.

Some of the other new features that are now available included multi-touch capabilities which would allow a user to search through Guide Listings in the Windows Media Center with just the touch of a hand, no longer would a mouse be required provided you have a touch sensitive TV or monitor. Windows 7 also enables a user to “Snap” windows to the side, vertically or top. By using this function you are able to compare two documents side by side, drag file folders from one location to another, read a longer document much more easily, or fill the entire desktop with one window.

When using the Windows 7 “Libraries,” you can arrange your collection of pictures by either months or tags you’ve assigned to them. When searching, you would simply request a search on a particular date or tag name…..really simple to do! There are so many features, too numerous to mention but by taking this tour you will become more educated on the new Windows 7.

Finally, in addition, CBS also announced today that they will be integrating their content with the Windows Media Center which means that users will be able to view all their primetime shows on demand. A Kindle reader app is also being developed by Amazon and will be available within the next month. With all the new technology still undiscovered, I'm sure we'll be learning of more new hardware and gadgets in the near future that will be compatible with the new Windows 7.

4 comments:

  1. Patty,
    In addition to booting up in as little as 15 seconds, I was privy to using Windows 7 with Office 2010 and found that the Office 2010 suite was instantaneous in launching. Microsoft's 2010 software suites coming out are something I am looking forward to experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Micro Center in Madison Heights on Thursday when Windows 7 was available. I was tempted to purchase a copy just to see if I can get rid of the fisher-price look and some of the other resource hogs but decided against it. After reading this and a couple other articles I may have to just break down and try it next time I go to Micro Center. The only problem is I only have 2GB of memory so I may need to upgrade that. I don't understand why Microsoft's windows are so inefficient? I am seriously considering switching to Linux after school. It is so much more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, thanks for the post. I already commented to another Win7 post my attitude and my expections towards Win7.
    I'm a little bit wondering that Apple uses the launch of Win7 to promote the Mac-Plattform.
    I was a bit astonished that Apple uses the trade mark Windows of Microsoft.
    It looks like there are no restrictions using competitors names and trade marks in commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to the comment a while back from a Microsoft Employee i took advantage of the student upgrade discount. I have been very happy with my choice. Though I also had to upgrade my ram to continue the same quick response performance i had with XP many features in 7 i have grown to love. My favorite quick access change they have made that i noticed was my ability to access task manager by simply right clicking the taskbar.

    ReplyDelete