Oct 28, 2009

People.Emich Overload

So it turns out we have a limit on our people.emich sites. Ok so I knew this, but never really paid attention to it. Last week I received a message from the admin stating I was over quota:


Presumably this is a bad thing. After looking at the people.emich rules, you are given a 50mb limit on your personal site. Nothing bad really happens at this point, but once you reach 55mb, what they call the hard limit, your account is frozen until you delete some content. So what do you do when you reach this limit? Well check out the link they gave me in the above image, substituting my user name for yours. On the next image you see a screen shot from my site, showing the current data usage and highlighting the files that are using the most space.


What you may have noticed is that there a few images that are taking up 8.3% of my space each. Ouch. Well it turns out I didn't need these images anyway. They were the master files that I eventually cropped, resized, and then used on my page. I was able to delete these images and drop way below the qouta. Take a look at the image below and see how deleting a couple of images fixed my issue.

4 comments:

  1. Nice find Colin, I knew there was a 50MB limit but never entertained the thought of what happens after you reach the limit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info Colin. I will have to make sure to keep an eye on that this semester with all of the different things I have stored on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew there was an account disk quota limit. I had deleted a lot of old files from past semesters before I started this class. I probably would have been over my quota. At least there is an easy solution to free up more space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    something went wrong with my account.
    I have unlimited quota on people.emich.edu ....

    ReplyDelete