Oct 25, 2009

Windows 7 – What Does it Have to Offer?

So Windows 7, the new operating system from Microsoft is being released to us soon, but what does it have to offer us over our current operating system? Lately a lot of friends and colleagues have asked me if I plan to upgrade to Windows 7, but I haven’t really been able to directly answer the question because I have no idea what upgrades it will offer me or you for that matter. So I decided to do a little research and this is what I came up with.


Microsoft touts there are dozens of new features and lists the following as the top 5: Pin, Snap, HomeGroup, Play To and Windows Touch. Pin allows the user to “pin” a program to the taskbar by dragging it there, and allows you to position it in any location on the taskbar. Snap is a function that allows the user to drag a window to an edge of the screen and the windows will lock to that edge and resize to fit height or with of the screen, depending on the edge it was drug to. This is convenient if you want to view two windows at the same time. HomeGroup is an easy way to connect two or more computers together, designed for the home user. Allowing you to share files and system resources between computers. Play To is a utility to allow you to send music and video files from your PC to your network enabled media device such as a TV or home stereo. Windows Touch enchances the functionality of Windows for those with a touch enabled screen.


Unfortunately for me none of those features wow me enough to upgrade any of my Vista or XP systems. Although I like some of the ideas and creativity Microsoft is adding to their operating system, nothing jumps out as a “gotta-have”, so I will just wait and get Windows 7 when I upgrade a piece of my current equipment. But one bit of note for those who feel Vista was to much of a “systems hog” Windows 7 is designed to better utilize system resources and run more efficiently.

Addition reading can be found at:
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/what-is-windows-7.aspx
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/13/5-great-new-features-of-windows-7/

5 comments:

  1. HomeGroup is a nice touch, starting back in Windows ME users had to jump through hoops to link their computers. Vista may have been better but decided to boycott that OS all together. That James for the info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windows 7 is nice. It seems that they have managed to solve all the issues with the Vista...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand how you feel. If your experience isnt going to change that much then why invest in a new product. At the same time, I have to always be on top of all the new computer trends so I have to get it. Just like people have to have whatever apples releases. Bottom line, it has to be better than there last OS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was quite impressed with the Windows 7 tour that I included in my prior blog. There are so many new features that I'm excited to try them out. I purchased a new laptop not too long ago, so I will be receiving the free upgrade and honestly, I can't wait! Like Justin, I enjoy seeing and trying new products. The innovative technology never stops, that's what makes it so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I just read an article that MS is working on the first Service Pack for Win7. An alpha version shall be released soon.

    ReplyDelete