Oct 13, 2009

The iPhone App and the winter!!!!


It seems that the winter came already without a prior notice. We all know how annoying it is to wait in the car in the freezing cold waiting for the heater to work. Personally, I don't own a remote starter just because my roommate does and sometimes his car would start by itself while we are watching a movie or something. He has changed his battery twice due to that and I'm not willing to go through that. I would rather wait 5 minutes than waiting half an hour for my friend to pick me up. Without further due, as usual, iPhone app developers have come up with one of the coolest apps which is Viper SmartStart from Directed Electronics.

Couple of nice things about this app is the fact that it literally start your car from almost any where as long as there is a cell phone signal. While the regular remote starters have a specified range (ie. 30 feet), the viper app solves this issue with providing a virtually unlimited range. As others, I don't like my car running in front of my parking lot because this seems like an open invitation for someone to steal it. If you think like that, don't worry! The viper app has a locking option in which you can lock or unlock your car. Unless someone breaks your glass, you wont have to worry about getting robbed.

something uncool about this app is price. When i first browsed into the article, I thought it would be free or somewhat cheap. Well, It is not! I guess convenience is never free. This app has two cost options; it could be installed for non-remote starters owners for $499 or it could updated/mated to remote starters owners for $299. There would be also an annual service fee of $29.99. This app is compatible with iPod Touch as well.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this seems really cool until you look at the price! I have a remote state and it's acts up from time to time! These apps are getting advanced! I would love to see how accurate this remote starter works. Only thing I dislike is the annual fee of 30 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I want it! I was almost ready to start Googling shops nearby that would install a Viper system into my car, and then I got to your last paragraph about the price. If the $499 includes the app and the installation of the vehicle starting mechanism, then I would still consider this awesome service, but the part I don't like is the fee. I tend to hate anything that requires a service fee, even if it is an annual fee as opposed to the normal monthly fee of other services. I like to pay for things all at once, not in increments or for continuing years to come. If they removed the fee from this, I would seriously consider it. Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete