Oct 8, 2009

Create your own slide show with DHTML and CSS

I've worked with HTML, XHTML, XML and even VRML but I hadn't heard of DHTML (Dynamic HTML) until I went looking for a way to do a slide show with some jpg images. My main problem is that I would like to keep everything separate as the Head First book suggests. I could just use the "img" tag in my HTML document like the Head First example from chapter 1. However, I figured there might be an easy (or at least not too difficult) way of doing a slide show and keeping everything in their respective files.

I found this site when I searched on slide shows. It looks like this will do what I want however; it is all in the HTML document so I would have to scrape it out and put everything in their own files. That shouldn’t be a problem because the code is separate and it looks like it would be easy to move everything.

The other option I have been considering is to just start with everything in my HTML page like the book and then move things one at a time. I am not sure at this point what I will do but I got some good ideas and found more information from W3schools. I think this site may actually be one of the best reference sites, for what we are doing, that I’ve found so far.

4 comments:

  1. Nice find Terry, nuggets of information like this show me how much or how little I actually know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I havent really heard of DHTML but I just went into the site and the code is actually pretty neat which as you mentioned makes it easier to separate of the file. Have you settled yet on what option you are going to undertake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Terry, great post on a seemingly nice piece of slideshow creating code. I get the feeling you are trying to build some kind of slideshow/photo viewing application for your individual project, am I right? This is your second or third post related to photo type stuff, but I'm glad you're posting the information you come across, cause I'm doing a photo-based site as well, and I'm sure some of the info you find will prove beneficial to me as well! Thanks Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry,
    I believe that there is an application in the miniAJAX website that Matt blogged about. Not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind, but if anything it may give you some ideas.

    http://slideshow.triptracker.net/

    ReplyDelete