Oct 14, 2009

RFFlow

RFFlow is a simple easy to use tool in producing charts and diagrams. It is also available to download for free for a trial period. My group used this tool to create our use cases for the first iteration of our group project.



To download visit the following link: http://www.rff.com/download.htm

Follow the directions for extracting, downloading and installing. Once downloaded you’ll have thirty-two days until the free trial is up (although you can just download the free trial again).
To the left there are a few listed shapes you can play around with, although we had to add stencils for the Use Case we produced. To do this click “more shapes” and cycle through the different possible selections. Personally for the Use Case diagrams I prefer the “Entity Relationship Diagram” and the “UML” stencils (UML is under the Software Design Folder).
This program takes a little getting used to, but the final product does look professional.

4 comments:

  1. I used the RFFlow in other courses I have taken. This is very helpful to make Use Cases and many other diagrams. The best part is the free trial. By the way the Use Cases you created for our group project looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested to know how it compares to Visio. Does any have experience with both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used both and I prefer RFFlow. Visio is a typical Microsoft product. It tries to do some things for you and other things that might be nice aren't available. I haven't found a way to save things like line colors in visio. I have looked a bit but didn't want to spend a lot of time goofing so I just use the default and end up changing it to what I want. Some of the lines that you use to connect things have a mind of thier own. I could go on... but, maybe it is just because I haven't spent enough time looking for the answers. However, I started using RFFlow in a couple minutes and it was very friendly. There are a lots of templates that are really useful and they have the components that you need. I believe that I was able to save my settings with RFFlow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Terry. I've also used both and RFFlow is far superior by way of its simplicity. Microsoft Visio is nice because it's very robust but I stumbled more while using it than I did with RFFlow. I never have time to look into using the more robust features of Microsoft's products but I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete